Thursday, July 8, 2010

La Sagrada Familia


June 26, 2010

After missing La Sagrada Familia a few days ago, I was determined to try to get in early this morning. I can tell you that if I missed the La Sagrada Familia, I would have been so devastated. It was absolutely beautiful. When I first saw it in magazines it looked like there was too much going on a little "too much". Every corner you look, there is something else to see.

The cathedral has stories around every corner. When we enter the church you can the marble statues of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. It starts with the passover, then the betrayal of Judas, the trial with Pilot and then the crucifixion. It's just absolutely beautiful. I constantly ask myself how Gaudi could have imagined all of this. I can't comprehend how one person could have thought of all these designs.

In the church, Gaudi wanted the light in the church to illuminate the sanctuary with light in a certain way. He wanted it to reflect on a floor of mirrors, where the light would then transfer up to the ceiling, where the church will eventually be topped with a cross. The light is then supposed to stream out of all corners of the cross and shoot out of its extremities. It's just too amazing to comprehend. I was in the church for several hours and I still feel like there is so much to still see.

One of the most amazing things to do at the church was to go up its steeples. From the steeple, you can see more details of the church the entire city of Barcelona. It's absolutely breathtaking. Sometime you just need to allow our spirit to rejuvenate. Well, this was my time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment