Saturday, June 12, 2010

First Day of Training

Friday, July 11, 2010

So this morning I bolted out of bed because my alarm didn't go off. I later found out that while my phone had reconfigured to Eastern Standard Time, my iPod is not as intelligent. It was still on California time and so at approximately 7:15am (EST) I jumped out of bed for a 8:00am meeting. It would not be a good thing to be late for the first meeting with the Executive Dean.

At our first training meeting all the faculty, staff, and International Shipboard Education (ISE) staff were introduced before we spoke about Cultural Awareness and Ethics of Experiential Global Education. Before the students leave the Halifax port, the ISE staff want to have a talk about some of the ethics and appropriate mindset students should have as they're entering all these different conversations. All the faculty are paired up with a staff member to lead the discussion, so it should be interesting. :)

Next, we had the opportunity to hear Julian Bond speak. All I could say about that experience is AMAZING! He is such a dynamic and captivating speaker. He was also gracious enough to pose for pictures. I don't think many people can say that they've been this close to Julian Bond. Well, except the other couple hundred people on the ship right now. :)



My fellow LLCs and I have been enjoying our lunches on the deck of the main dining room. With a view like this, it's hard to imagine why. It also helps us warm up from our meetings, because the rooms are freezing. I am now regretting not bringing a thicker jacket, but of course that means I HAVE to buy a sweatshirt here. Tough....


After lunch, all the faculty and staff met regarding the Field Programs that S@S coordinates as well as announce the trip leaders. If you volunteer to be a trip leader for any of the different field programs, and are selected, you are able to attend these trips for a significant discount. Sometimes the trips are even free, depending upon the cost of the actual trip. I found out that I am going to be the trip leader for the cooking class that I'm scheduled for while I'm in Italy. I can't wait!!

Later this evening we had the opportunity to screen "Beyond the Call" with the director Adrian Belic. He documented these three men as they go out to provide medical aid and support to the most remote and dangerous parts of the world. They specifically go to countries where no one else will go due to safety and security. I highly recommend anyone to see it! The director Adrian, who is an alum of S@S, is extremely humble of the work he's produced. What an amazing way to end the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment