Sunday, June 20, 2010

First Day of Classes

Did you see "You've Got Mail"? Do you remember when Tom Hanks' character talks about bouquets of newly sharpened pencils, that's what I totally think about on the first day of school. Well....today the scent that has overtaken me is the smell of the ocean air. Let me tell you...the scent of pencils will never do it for me again. ;)

This morning we were all awoken by drawer doors opening and closing. The ocean was very choppy and I actually had to resort to using the seasick patches. I was hoping that the Meclizine could handle it, but I was mistaken. I couldn't stay in bed because it was too rocky and I couldn't stand because it was too rocky. What do you do then?

Despite all of that, the students started their day pretty early, trying to make it to breakfast before their 8 o'clock classes so the dining halls were pretty full. They were just excited and still trying to get used to the rocking while the staff were still trying to catch up on sleep that they lost during orientation and the first few days at sea with the students.

Everyone on the ship is mandated to take a class called Global Studies. It's taught by Professor Bowler, who is extremely entertaining and very educated on the history of the Mediterranean. Because every student, faculty and staff is required to take this class, we have to utilize all the classroom on the ship as satellite rooms. It's a lot more fun being in the Union, so it's really funny to see students waiting outside the Union for the doors to open.

Tonight was also the beginning of the Explorer Seminars that I'm required to coordinate. During the time we are at sea, I am required to schedule programs from 2000-2100 (8-9pm). The programs are supposed to be academic/educational, something about our future port or a personal development topic. It's been a little stressful trying to figure out the process, but I think I'm getting a handle on it. Professor David Gies, from UVA is our Interport Lecturer...and actually will also be the Executive Dean on the Fall 2010 voyage. He is so well versed in Spain & Barcelona, that he's offered to lead 3 Explorer Seminars while he's on the ship (he'll be leaving when we get to Barcelona). We also have a resident clown. Quite the combination but all fun in the process. Thankfully this evening's Explorer Seminars went very well. Hopefully the rest will too! Keep your fingers crossed!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment